How the new Facebook Timeline might affect your business presence.
By now most of us are used to the idea that Facebook will suddenly change its look and functionality on a pretty regular basis. At first we complained: How dare you change this, I just got used to it and now its all different! Then we begrudgingly accepted it: ARG! Facebook changed again... oh well. By now weve become accustomed to the idea: Oh, Facebook is changing again? Sounds about right. Most changes dont affect people and businesses in a dramatic way, but this time its having a bit more of an impact than usual.
Facebook is forcing all of its Facebook Page users do adopt the Timeline view. The new view will be enforced to all pages by March 30, 2012.
The main features of the Timeline View are:
- Cover Picture
- Its a wide open space at the top of your page that can display any picture you want. Most importantly, its the first thing people see when they come to your Facebook Page!
- Your Apps
- This zone will include Applications you select to be shown. This is where you can add "Promotions", "Welcome", "Email Signup", and any other separate page you want to include.
- Featured Stories
- The Timeline views best feature in my opinion is that you can Feature a story by clicking the star button on it. This allows you to give more importance to say... an important event you want people to know about, or a promotion, and give less importance to say... Uncle Harrys comment about how much he loves tacos.
How this will affect your Facebook Page (aka. Best Practices):
If youre reading this, chances are you want to use Social Media tools for your business. With the changes coming up here are a few suggestions to spruce your page up.
- Landing Pages are GONE
- If your Facebook page used a Landing Page to get more likes, this option has been removed in the new view. Now all users will by default land on your timeline and not on another page that will prompt them to Like you.
- You can still have secondary pages that will give discounts, promotions, and special content, but you cant force your users to go there.
- If youre using a Landing Page, you might want to re-think how people will interact with your Facebook Page and change some of your wording.
- Cover Picture
- Its a good time to get a Cover Picture on your Timeline. You will impress people by being on the ball and it will be a great way to display more about what your business is about.
(850 x 315 pixels in case you were wondering)
- Content, Content, Content!
- We are firm proponents that the BEST marketing tool is always thoughtful, creative, and interesting content. People might fall for cheap marketing tricks once or twice, but they will keep coming back if you invest in making your sites content great.
Shameless plug - make sure to check out Sproing Creative Facebook Page for the latest updates and info from our team.